Re: 23.0.60; Emacs should survive a lost X connection

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Emacs should survive a lost X connection
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 15:49:49 -0800

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

  > Harald Hanche-Olsen <address@hidden> writes:
  >
  >   > What I did: a deliberate test, not an accident -
  >   > (and my apologies in the likely case that this is well known):
  >   >
  >   > I started emacs -nw, then ran M-x make-frame-on-display RET :0 RET.
  >   > After the new frame popped up on display :0 (I did all this from an
  >   > xterm not on that display), I logged out of display :0.
  >   > Emacs aborted as a result.
  >

  > This used to work, not sure when it broke...

It broke because of this change:

2007-09-29  Richard Stallman  <address@hidden>

            * eval.c (internal_condition_case_2, internal_condition_case_1)
            (internal_condition_case): Reenable abort if x_catching_errors ()
            to see if that really happens and why.

Richard, now you have part of the answer: if the X11 connection is lost
emacs crashes after your patch. It works fine after undoing the patch.
(Undoing this patch also solves another issue discussed recently: emacs
crashes after using xkill on an emacsclient frame).