Re: Still cannot build native windows version of emacs 23.*

From: Eric Lilja
Subject: Re: Still cannot build native windows version of emacs 23.*
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 00:22:50 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
From: Eric Lilja <address@hidden>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 10:15:11 +0100

What I meant is this: modify the line in admin/unidate/makefile that
says

        "../../src/oo-spd/i386/emacs.exe" -Q --multibyte -batch -f
batch-byte-compile unidata-gen.el

to say this instead:

        "../../src/oo-spd/i386/emacs.exe" -Q --multibyte -batch --eval "(message
\"%s\" load-path)"

and then see what it displays when you run "make bootstrap".

Note that, since admin/unidate/makefile is generated by "make
bootstrap", you will either need to edit admin/unidate/makefile.w32-in
and then run nt/configure.bat to create admin/unidate/makefile, or
edit admin/unidate/makefile while "make bootstrap" runs, but before it
gets to where it executes the above line.

OK, here's what happened. My admin/unidata/makefile was generated after the configure step, but I couldn't find the line I was supposed to change so I read your message a little bit more carefully. Ah, and you said that it's generated during bootstrap so I thought that it would be modified during bootstrap

No, I was wrong, of course: admin/unidata/makefile is generated during
the configure step, not during "make bootstrap".  Sorry about that.

.el.elc:
        $(RUNEMACS) -f batch-byte-compile $<

The line to change is the one above, it's a command to compile a .el
file that is run when Make needs unidata-gen.elc (required by the
charprop-* rules).

I'm running the bootstrap with the altered makefile right now on a fresh checkout, but I'm not sure I altered the line correctly. Should it be:
.el.elc:
        $(RUNEMACS) -f batch-byte-compile --eval "(message \"%s\" load-path)" $<

Because that's what I'm running the bootstrap now with.