Re: emacs bootstrap hangs on Windows XP / mingw

From: Dieter Deyke
Subject: Re: emacs bootstrap hangs on Windows XP / mingw
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 09:15:43 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Dieter Deyke <address@hidden>
>> Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 14:21:37 -0700
>>
>> > Can you attach GDB to the running Emacs, and see where it is hung?
>>
>> I tried, but gdb does not seem to be able to interrupt emacs. I see the
>> message:
>>
>> Attaching to program
>> `/c/Users/deyke/emacs-build/subdir/work/bin/emacs.exe', process 18884
>
> This looks like you have a Cygwin GDB, while your Emacs is a native
> MinGW build.  Maybe such a combination cannot work here?

You were right, but using the mingw gdb results in the same problem, the
debugger cannot break into emacs:

C:\Users\deyke\emacs-build\subdir\work>gdb bin\emacs.exe 22936
GNU gdb 5.1.1 (mingw experimental)
This GDB was configured as "mingw32"...
C:\Users\deyke\emacs-build\subdir\work/22936: No such file or directory.
Attaching to program `C:\Users\deyke\emacs-build\subdir\work/bin\emacs.exe',
process 22936

Then gdb hangs too, and cannot be interrupted by C-c.

For what is worth, process explorer shows the folloing threads in emacs
at that point:

!CreateThread+0x2e
!toascii+0x15d0
ntdll.dll!DbgUiRemoteBreakin
ntdll.dll!ConvertUiListtoApiList+0x276
ntdll.dll!ConvertUiListtoApiList+0x276

If I try to close the cmd window running the emacs build, I get:

"Windows cannot end thos program. It may need more time to complete an
operation."

--
Dieter Deyke