Re: emacsclient bug

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: emacsclient bug
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 09:40:33 -0800

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

  > > emacsclient -d $DISPLAY -c
  > > works, but this is very annoying, because there are many situations
  > > where emacsclient is handy but determining the current display is not so
  > > easy.
  >
  > > For example I use the ViewSourceWith Firefox extension, with emacsclient
  > > as editor and `-c $f' as parameters, ($f is expanded by the plugin).
  >
  > How did you do it with Emacs-22?
  >
  > The -c argument is not very clearly specified: it just says "use a new
  > frame", so if the current Emacs frame is on a tty, creating a new frame
  > on that same tty seems like a correct choice.
  >
  > If you don't want tty frames, then maybe you shouldn't start your Emacs
  > server on a tty?
  >
  > Of course, if your Emacs server has both X11 and tty frames, then "-c"
  > will arbitrarily open either a tty frame or an X11 frame depending on
  > which frame happens to be selected when the emacsclient connects to it.

Given that, taking into account the current frame when emacsclient
connects does not seem like a good idea.

  > Maybe there should be some kind of affinity: look at the emacsclient
  > context (its tty and its $DISPLAY setting) and then look for an existing
  > frame (or terminal) that is "similar" (same tty or same $DISPLAY).
  > This would remove/reduce the "arbitrary" part of the behavior.

IMO:
  - if -c is given, and $DISPLAY is present in the emacsclient
  environment (-d is not on the command line), then it should be
  equivalent to -c -d $DISPLAY

  - if $DISPLAY is not present, then it should be equivalent to -t