Re: (aset UNIBYTE-STRING MULTIBYTE-CHAR)

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: (aset UNIBYTE-STRING MULTIBYTE-CHAR)
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 13:20:10 +0900

Miles Bader writes:
 > "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> writes:
 > >  > > How Pythonic!
 > >
 > >  > No need for insults Stephen!
 > >
 > > You're welcome to take insult if you like, but I don't know a higher
 > > compliment in language design
 >
 > Please tell me you're joking...

No, I'm not.  You don't have to like their design goals, but to lack
respect for their success in achieving the ones they've chosen ...
well, go ahead, laugh at the Tao.  That's what it's there for, says
so right on the label.

As for the particular proposal of Stefan's, it *is* very Pythonic.
(It's duck typing for sequences.)  It's not particularly Emacs-Lisp-y,
what with aref and nth that do the same thing but to different types
of sequences, etc., and the dozen or more ways of implementing
dictionaries, all having distinct APIs for accessing properties by
keyword.