Re: (aset UNIBYTE-STRING MULTIBYTE-CHAR)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: (aset UNIBYTE-STRING MULTIBYTE-CHAR)
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 15:29:35 -0500

    >       If we are going to inhibit aset on multibyte strings, I think we
    >     should inhibit aset on any strings to avoid a further confusion.

    > I think someone should try making it work.
    > The way I suggested should not be terribly hard.

    The problem is the following: while it can be made to work, it will be
    inefficient.

That inefficiency may or may not be important in any given context.
Fixing it in casefiddle is definitely desirable.
But is it worth breaking all such packages just so that they
will optimize an operation that might not use much of the time anyway?