Re: Info-build-node-completions has an extra `*' node

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Info-build-node-completions has an extra `*' node
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 04:12:57 +0000

On 18/02/2008, Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:
> "Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:
> > But first things first. What is the rationale for this? Does it really
> > fulfill a need? If not, let's just get rid of it, to avoid unnecessary
> > confusion.
>
> I agree.
>
> Seeing the raw info file as a result of goto-node is pretty odd,
> unlikely to be very useful for most people (especially now that info
> does inter-node search very naturally with normal isearch), and fairly
> likely to confuse those who stumble upon this "feature" by accident.

Also, how does it differ from C-x n w widening the info buffer?

Ideally, I suppose an "all nodes" thing would show all nodes, but
still prettied for viewing, something like a "view docs as one big
HTML" translated web page, maybe with info commands working relative
to the node the point is in, and that would be the difference, but it
seems that g * is  very similar to just turning off narrow at the
moment.