Re: Default font 'default have no corresponding variable

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Default font 'default have no corresponding variable
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:44:22 -0500

    The use case I see, which, again, is not the usual case, is when you want to
    make it easy for code to temporarily use a particular face. It is very easy
    for some code to dynamically bind a face variable and cause subsequently
    executed code to use that face. Getting the same effect with faces (without
    a face variable) can make for uglier code, IMO.

I agree that this would be a good reason to have such a variable.
Whether there are such cases, I don't know.