Re: python.el fixes for Emacs 22

From: Ken Manheimer
Subject: Re: python.el fixes for Emacs 22
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 18:08:46 -0500

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 6:00 PM, Barry Warsaw <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2008, at 5:28 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:
>
>  >    It's not worth harping on, but I'm pretty sure that the FSF has had
>  >    copyright assignments for python-mode.el from all the main
>  > developers
>  >    for some time now.
>  >
>  > Someone said Kyle Jones was a developer of it, and we don't have
>  > papers
>  > from him for this.  If you tell us the list of developers
>  > we can see who we do or don't have papers from.
>
>  >      If the rest of the
>  >    Python community is okay with moving python-mode.el out of the
>  > Python
>  >    Subversion repository, I'd have no problem GPL'ing it and hosting
>  > its
>  >    development on e.g. Launchpad.
>  >
>  > If we can get the necessary papers, let's put it in Emacs and
>  > develop it there.
>
>  Two problems with that: I'd really like to develop the code with
>  Bazaar, and I want to make sure that we can still support XEmacs.

for allout and other emacs-repository things that i maintain, i have
my own repositories where i do my development - i can be more casual
about commitments there - and on suitable occasions i apply the
changes to the emacs repository version.  i haven't noticed problems
keeping xemacs compatability for code that lives in the fsf
repository.  i don't mind the extra step in exchange for the broader
availability of the code gained by inclusion in emacs, proper, and
easier access for others wanting to apply fixes.  in general, the
quality of the developers with emacs repository access is high enough
that it's a net win.
--
ken
http://myriadicity.net