Re: 22.1.90; desktop-save throws (error "No buffer named <uniquified buf

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: 22.1.90; desktop-save throws (error "No buffer named <uniquified buffername>")
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 00:00:57 +0100

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 11:37 PM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:

>  No, the whole point of the function is to provide a meaningful
>  functionality independently from desktop.el.

As there are no other users, we don't know if it is more useful and
general to return nil for empty basenames or to return "".

>  Exactly: *to desktop* this is so, but not in general, so the test
>  belongs in desktop.el.

There are no general uses of `uniquify-buffer-base-name'. There is no
general definition of a "base name", it is an internal thing of
uniquify; so it is up to us to decide whether an empty basename is a
base name at all or not. For the moment being, the only user (desktop)
is cleaner if an empty basename and no basename at all are equivalent.

             Juanma