Re: dabbrev-expand for the minibuffer

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: dabbrev-expand for the minibuffer
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 00:49:20 +0200

>> I am not sure what is the proper way to integrate this functionality,
>> it would be great if someone that knows dabbrev could either add
>> something similar to this code, or do it in a better way and provide it
>> by default.
>
> It looks like the best way to integrate this is with hippie-expand,
> probably not dabbrev-expand. Just a thought.

It would be easier to implement this in hippie-expand because it has all
necessary infrastructure.  This could be implemented like an existing
method `try-expand-dabbrev-from-kill' added to
`hippie-expand-try-functions-list',
but using `minibuffer-history' instead of `kill-ring'.

OTOH, dabbrev.el has the TODO item "Check the kill-ring when everything
else fails."  Implementing this means practically copying code from
hippie-exp.el to dabbrev.el.  I'm not sure if two identical packages
is the goal?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/