Re: dabbrev-expand for the minibuffer

From: Leo
Subject: Re: dabbrev-expand for the minibuffer
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 23:22:55 +0000

On 2008-02-27 22:49 +0000, Juri Linkov wrote:
>>> I am not sure what is the proper way to integrate this functionality,
>>> it would be great if someone that knows dabbrev could either add
>>> something similar to this code, or do it in a better way and provide it
>>> by default.
>>
>> It looks like the best way to integrate this is with hippie-expand,
>> probably not dabbrev-expand. Just a thought.
>
> It would be easier to implement this in hippie-expand because it has all
> necessary infrastructure.  This could be implemented like an existing
> method `try-expand-dabbrev-from-kill' added to
> `hippie-expand-try-functions-list',
> but using `minibuffer-history' instead of `kill-ring'.
>
> OTOH, dabbrev.el has the TODO item "Check the kill-ring when everything
> else fails."  Implementing this means practically copying code from
> hippie-exp.el to dabbrev.el.  I'm not sure if two identical packages
> is the goal?

The TODO even suggests it is for hippie-exp.

BTW, it may be better rebind M-/ to hippie-expand with
hippie-expand-try-functions-list set to a proper value so that the
change is transparent to end users.

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

          Use the best OS -- http://www.fedoraproject.org/