emacs 23.0.60; --without-x should --disable-font-backend

From: Brad Walker
Subject: emacs 23.0.60; --without-x should --disable-font-backend
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 04:31:32 -0700

In the latest CVS head ./configure --without-x enables font backend and
freetype if they're detected.

address@hidden emacs]$ ./configure --without-x

Configured for `x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu'.

  Where should the build process find the source
code?    /home/brad/emacs
  What operating system and machine description files should Emacs use?
        `s/gnu-linux.h' and `m/amdx86-64.h'
  What compiler should emacs be built with?               gcc -g -O2
-Wno-pointer-sign
  Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             yes
      (Using Doug Lea's new malloc from the GNU C Library.)
  Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    yes
  Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no
  What window system should Emacs use?                    none
  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          none
  Where do we find X Windows header files?                NONE
  Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   NONE
  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  no
  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  no
  Does Emacs use a gif library?                           no
  Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -lrsvg-2?                                no
  Does Emacs use -lgpm?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -ldbus?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use a font backend?                          yes
  Does Emacs use -lfreetype?                              yes
  Does Emacs use -lm17n-flt?                              no
  Does Emacs use -lotf?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -lxft?                                   no
  Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll bars?                   no

Building this breaks on xdisp.c:

address@hidden emacs]$ make bootstrap

gcc -c -D_BSD_SOURCE   -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -I.
-I/home/brad/emacs/src -D_BSD_SOURCE -I/usr/include/alsa
-I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib64/dbus-1.0/include -g -O2
-Wno-pointer-sign  -I/usr/include/freetype2 frame.c
gcc -c -D_BSD_SOURCE   -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -I.
-I/home/brad/emacs/src -D_BSD_SOURCE -I/usr/include/alsa
-I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib64/dbus-1.0/include -g -O2
-Wno-pointer-sign  -I/usr/include/freetype2 scroll.c
gcc -c -D_BSD_SOURCE   -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -I.
-I/home/brad/emacs/src -D_BSD_SOURCE -I/usr/include/alsa
-I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib64/dbus-1.0/include -g -O2
-Wno-pointer-sign  -I/usr/include/freetype2 xdisp.c
xdisp.c: In function ‘handle_auto_composed_prop’:
xdisp.c:4596: error: ‘enable_font_backend’ undeclared (first use in this
function)
xdisp.c:4596: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
xdisp.c:4596: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[2]: *** [xdisp.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/brad/emacs/src'
make[1]: *** [bootstrap-build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/brad/emacs'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

"./configure --without-x --disable-font-backend" successfully builds.

Results found on Fedora Rawhide.

Brad Walker