Re: Why definition in `locale-language-names' does not function on Windo

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Why definition in `locale-language-names' does not function on Windows?
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 14:53:34 +0200

> From: Zhang Wei <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 23:30:56 +0800
>

> In mule-cmds.el line 2309, there is a language environment definition in
> `locale-language-names' for MS Windows Chinese Simplified:
>
>     ("chs" . "Chinese-GBK") ; MS Windows Chinese Simplified
>
> but when emacs start, I got the following warning:
>
>     Warning: Default coding system `chinese-iso-8bit' disagrees with
>     system codeset `cp936' for this locale.

This warning is issued because `(locale-info 'codeset)' on Windows
returns the system ANSI code page (a.k.a. ACP).  Emacs issues the
system call that is equivalent to

   GetLocaleInfo (GetThreadLocale (),
                  LOCALE_IDEFAULTANSICODEPAGE | LOCALE_USE_CP_ACP,
                  NULL, 0);

A recent discussion concluded that the warning can be safely removed,
see

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-02/msg00944.html

> Emacs set default language environment to "Chinese-GB" during startup,
> not "Chinese-GBK" specified in `loclae-language-names'.

Sorry, I'm not sure I follow: how did you came to the above
conclusion, and how is it connected to the warning?  If what you say
is that Emacs does not honor the locale settings, and that this
warning is an evidence, please elaborate.