Re: Shift-movement selection

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Shift-movement selection
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 07:32:00 +0900

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> Anything that doesn't modify the buffer -- e.g. all movement commands.
>
> Supposedly these will be changed to use the new function, so they will
> explicitly deactivate the mark if the mark was activated with shift and
> the movement is then performed without the shift.
>
> So again, which ones would be left?

Are you serious?  You intend to modify _every_ movement command in
Emacs, and require that users modify whatever commands they have
written?   You intend to do this when a simple, clean, and more general
solution exists, with no apparent downsides?

Why?

Maybe for activating shift-selection, annotating commands is the  best we
can do, but it's very clear that for deactivating it, we can do better.

-Miles

--
Laughter, n. An interior convulsion, producing a distortion of the features
and accompanied by inarticulate noises. It is infectious and, though