Re: Who uses "complete word" (aka SPC) in the minibuffer and how/why

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Who uses "complete word" (aka SPC) in the minibuffer and how/why
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:29:53 +0000

Magnus Henoch <address@hidden> writes:

> I use it with M-x, especially when I want to run a command that is
> shadowed by a shorter one, e.g. customize-variable (shadowed by
> customize) and mail-add-payment-async (shadowed by mail-add-payment).
> At the end of the common part I hit SPC to get completion of the longer
> command.
>
> I could do this with the sequence TAB and '-' too, but that would be one
> extra keypress.

A reasonable behavior for minibuffer-complete could be:

(0) try to complete
(1) if (0) fails, present the list of possible completions
(2) if the previous TAB was (1), complete by selecting the
    string which will reduce the number of completions to
    the larger subset of the list presented in (1)

In the case Magnus describes it would lead to:

M-x cust TAB    [complete => custom]
M-x custom TAB  [display the list of possible completions]
M-x custom TAB  [complete => customize]
M-x custom TAB  [display the list of possible completions]
M-x custom- TAB [display the list of remaining completions]

Bastien