Re: Shift selection using interactive spec

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Shift selection using interactive spec
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 08:35:25 +0900

Thomas Lord writes:

 > You keep misunderstanding me.  I understand (enough) about how
 > transient mark mode models "activation".  What I'm saying in
 > response to that design, not in ignorance of it, is that
 > "activation" is the wrong model and that the three-variable model
 > is the model users are thinking of.  And the three variable model
 > seems to come out cleanly in code.  And the three variable model
 > extends and complements the traditional Emacs mark stack.

I'm not going to discuss the ins and outs of this, but I'd like to
point out that zmacs-regions and shifted-motion-keys-select-region
have been t by default in Windows builds of XEmacs for about ten
years, and I've *never* heard a Windows user complain about the region
doing the wrong thing.  ("zmacs-regions" is the Lucid equivalent of
t-m-m, and s-m-k-s-r is what it says.)

XEmacs implements the "active flag for top of mark stack" model.

If you want to do something subtler, Tom, I think a sample
implementation really needs to be provided and exercised thoroughly,
because the t-m-m model just plain ain't broke in best current
practice.