Re: Shift selection using interactive spec

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: Shift selection using interactive spec
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 20:12:58 -0700

Stefan Monnier wrote:
Please keep such off-topic remarks off this mailing-list.  Thank you,

How are those remarks, about the state of the "product category" of Emacs,
off topic?

This is a quite sincere question and another way to ask it is:

Does Emacs' popularity legitimately figure into the calculations
of how Emacs is developed?   Is "being popular" a goal?  Or is
it antithetical to what Emacs is about?

I can see either answer being reasonable.    If being popular is
one of the goals then I think Stephen and my exchange isn't
too badly off topic.   If being popular isn't one of the goals
then... I guess we are off topic after all but.... well, it'd be nice
to know that that's *really* what you mean.

-t