Re: Transient Mark Mode on by default

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Transient Mark Mode on by default
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 02:54:21 +0100

"paul r" <address@hidden> writes:

> 1 - Tmm suits better what any beginner expect than default emacs marks.
> 2 - It can be turned off by advanced users
> --> Good choice. Thanks

I don't follow this reasoning.  More than that: I think _nobody_ really
does -- yes, even you, Paul :)

Remember when you first learned Emacs?  Did it behave like you would
expect a text editor to behave?  At least for me the answer is no, it
behave in a radically new way.  And today I am quite happy Emacs did not
behave like I would have expected it to behave, otherwise it would just
be yet-another-editor.

This is not about gurus/beginners, this is about (learning) paths: is
there a good path from Transient Mark mode to the simple mark?  Is there
a path from the simple mark to Transient Mark mode?

--
Bastien