Re: Honoring traditional defaults

From: Mike Mattie
Subject: Re: Honoring traditional defaults
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:00:35 -0700

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 03:06:47 +0100
Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:

> "Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > That is, provide one or more predefined sets of preference
> > settings. Instead of the only customization possibility being to
> > dive into the tangled swamp of Emacs's myriad options, users could
> > choose a suitable macro-level option: a set of option settings.
>
> I think this would be useful.
>
> Especially because it would force us in terms of consistent sets of
> options, rather than "defaults for n00bs" vs "defaults for gurus."
>
> If you have a "skin" or a set of options called "RMS-Emacs" I guess
> many newbies will first try this one.
>
> PS: As for myself, I woud try Alan-Emacs :)

I hacked away on something like this. There is a huge problem with how
much stuff is outside of the Emacs mainline (CEDET), and installation
difficulty.

Not everything belongs in Emacs Core, we really need something like CPAN
with how much essential functionality is floating around without deployment
cohesion.

It would also be a good ground for experiments to be verified before moving
to mainline.

Cheers,
Mike Mattie