utf-16le vs utf-16-le

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: utf-16le vs utf-16-le
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 10:54:30 -0400

These two encodings have confusingly similar names, but significantly
different semantics: one expects a BOM, the other does not.  (I'll bet
a sixpack of beer that most of you will not know which one is which.)
A similar problem exists with the -be variant of UTF-16.

The fact that we have utf-16le-with-signature, but don't have the
corresponding -without-signature, also doesn't help.

I tripped over these when I tried to read debugging logs saved by
MS-Windows, which are in UTF-16 without a BOM: I used utf-16-le, which
swallowed the first character.  When I realized it was due to a BOM,
it took me reading of the doc strings of each encoding to find out
what I did wrong.

Can we please come up with some more self-explanatory names, and lose
the confusing le vs -le thing?  Please?