Re: 23.0.60: slower in starting up?

From: Claus
Subject: Re: 23.0.60: slower in starting up?
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 17:31:36 +0200

Well, as mentioned before in other threads, Emacs 23.0.60 using the
new (default) font-backend is (depending on your architecture I guess)
sometimes magnitudes (hope no one will flame me for using this word)
slower for me, esp. on buffer navigation (C-n, C-p, ...).

But that's probably the price to pay when surfing on the bleeding edge
trunk-builds. I'm confident the developers will bring back the usual
performance and stability eventually.

You could try starting Emacs with --disable-font-backend which should
bring back performance. But on my system, Emacs crashes during startup
when doing this (hard to reproduce and on changing lines in my startup
file). So I have no other choice but bear with the new font-backend,
hope it shall stabilize soon.

Claus

--

Mit freundlichem Gruß,