Re: What exactly is chinese-big5?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: What exactly is chinese-big5?
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:16:39 +0300

> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:32:15 +0900
>
> Emacs supports full range of Big5 code space; i.e.
>    1st byte: 0xA1 .. 0xFE
>    2nd byte: 0x40 .. 0x7E and 0xA1 .. 0xFE

Thank you for the detailed explanations.

> In Emacs 22, you can read the written file by utf-8 and
> search for U+FFFD.

Is U+FFFD the _only_ character that will be produced for any codepoint
that is unassigned in the Big5 code space?  That is, if I search for
U+FFFD, will I find _all_ the places where the original file had
something not belonging to Big5?

Also, assuming that I find one or more invalid characters, is there
some encoding other than chinese-big5 that I should try, which could
explain those problematic characters, besides those I mentioned in my
original message?  This file came from Chinese speaking people, so
there's little doubt it should include only strings that can be read
by Chinese speakers.  Therefore, I wonder how come it does not
translate cleanly into Unicode.  (I cannot ask the people who produced
the file about these issues, since they seem to be pretty ignorant
about that: they claimed the file was in UTF-8...)

Thanks again for you help.