Re: delete-selection-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:36:45 +0200

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:

>>> Is that really the case? Then I think it is a mistake. New users will
>>> expect that arrow keys without shift will deactivate the region.
>>
>> How about trying an Emacs with default settings and workflow before
>> making further suggestions?
>
> Maybe that is a good suggestion, but I can not see how it is relevant
> to the statement I make here.

It keeps you from making actually useful suggestions.

> Don't you think that new users will expect arrow keys without shift to
> deactivate the region?

Please make a copy of Wordpad and call it Emacs.  Presumably that should
meet all of your new users' expectations without you needing to bother
the rest of the list readers.

And please be advised that not surprising new users is a very secondary
goal of Emacs.  The main goal of Emacs is to be a useful and powerful
editor for its users.  Any proposals for secondary goals that get into
the hairs of primary goals are stillborn.

If you don't get accustomed to Emacs before you make proposals for it,
you are wasting both your and our time.