Re: testing for a remote file to include file on a Windows mapped drive

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: testing for a remote file to include file on a Windows mapped drive
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 17:13:32 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Stefan,

>> * file-remote-p returns t, if a file is not directly accessible by
>>   underlying operating system's means. Such files always need some
>>   special file name handler functions in Emacs for proper
>>   handling. Such (absolute) file names cannot be used literally
>>   outside functions, which support file name handlers.
>
> Please read the docstring of file-remote-p, it has "nothing" to do
> with the above.  What you describe can misclassify both ways: remote
> access can be provided by the OS (using NFS/AFS/SSHFS/...), and local
> access can be provided by file-name-handlers (e.g. file:// URLs).

We have had this discussion already weeks ago, and I couldn't convince
you. So I shouldn't try it again.

I just see this function from a practical point of view, providing an
implementation for a special case (Tramp syntax). file-remote-p
is based on file name handler functions, that means it works over the
file name syntax.

That's why I am not creative enough to see how to implement your
interpretation of that function.

I'm keeping quiet now.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.