Re: Maintenance suggestion on an emacs mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Maintenance suggestion on an emacs mode
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 17:05:28 -0400

>> Maybe we could apply his change, but make C-c the default (i.e. the
>> default is to break the convention).  So it would still be easy for
>> someone to unbreak the conventions.

> I cannot imagine somebody changing the default.  And if somebody did and
> used something like the proposed `C-c C-y', the bindings would be in the
> namespace of major modes.

The user is allowed to use any binding whatsoever, os if she wants
"\C-c\C-y" or "\e" or even just "", that's fine by me.  The "reserved
for users" namespace is just there to guarantee that this is something
that will never conflict.

> By the way, the proposal of `C-c C-y' would also violate the key
> binding recommendations for minor modes.

Indeed.  Which is why a "\C-c" default is no worse.

> Another option would be to remove those bindings altogether and put the
> code for defining the key bindings into the manual for easy copying and
> pasting into the init file.

Doesn't seem like an improvement,

        Stefan