Re: Ready to start serious work on VC mode again

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Ready to start serious work on VC mode again
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 10:27:27 -0400

>> > Multiple back ends is kind of a wacky edge case;
>>
>> I don't agree.  Multiple back end workspaces are going to be quite
>> common *among the population of people who are likely to turn into
>> vc.el hackers*.  DAK obviously uses them, I do, Barry Warsaw (Mailman
>> maintainer and Python release engineer) uses them on at least three
>> projects, and that's just a few folks I know.
>>
>> You want this feature to shine, I think.

> Does anybody have a clear idea about how VC should behave in such a
> situation ?

Currently, there are 2 ways to control it:
- vc-handled-backends whose order influences which backend is used
  by default.
- C-x v b which allows you to switch to another backend.

The fact that backends are currently associated to filenames is the
source of the problems we need.  They should be associated to
buffers instead.

        Stefan