Re: focus-follows-mouse

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: focus-follows-mouse
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 15:06:14 -0400

> I just noticed that I need to click the mouse to switch the focus
> between emacs windows (as opposed to emacs frames/X windows which are
> switched between based on the mouse movement).
> Even though the documentation of focus-follows-mouse makes it abundantly
> clear that this is not the intent of the variable, I think it would be
> better if emacs switched the emacs window focus based on mouse movement
> when this variable is set to non-nil.

You mean that mouse-autoselect-window should default to the value of
focus-follows-mouse?

This has been proposed and it might make sense, but I'm not sure it's
a good idea: just like focus-follows-mouse is problematic in MacOS
(because you may need to move the mouse over some other frame just in
order to access the menu-bar), mouse-autoselect-window is problematic
because you may need to move your mouse over another window in order to
reach the menu-bar.

        Stefan "who uses mouse-autoselect-window"