Re: focus-follows-mouse

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: focus-follows-mouse
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 08:11:14 +0900

"Sam Steingold" <address@hidden> writes:
> Even though the documentation of focus-follows-mouse makes it abundantly
> clear that this is not the intent of the variable, I think it would be
> better if emacs switched the emacs window focus based on mouse movement
> when this variable is set to non-nil.

Please, no.  There is a very strong historical distinction between frame
and window behavior, and users are used to it.  This is core behavior,
and it can't just be changed based on a whim (and to my knowledge has
been essentially no demand for such a change).

[Morever, the behavior you want seems inconsistent with other apps --
pretty much everything that has a text entry "focus" requires a click or
command to change it, regardless of WM focus behavior (they typically
maintain a separate input focus per WM-window).]

-Miles

--
Opportunity, n. A favorable occasion for grasping a disappointment.