Re: customizing key definitions with Customize

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: customizing key definitions with Customize
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 22:42:38 +0200

Richard M Stallman wrote:
Using Customize to rebind keys would be a good feature to add; but in order to make this fit in well with Emacs, it should
store the bindings in keymaps.  For instance, if you customize
the bindings of Lisp mode, it should do that by altering
the bindings in lisp-mode-map.

I think the unit of operation should be something like customize-sparse-keymap with a corresponing custom widget for sparse keymaps.

As I wrote before Drew's widget code for key bindings is probably a good base for that code.

There are some difficult things to master:

- When should the customized keymaps be applied?
- How to deal with current code that setup the keymaps?

My suggestion would be to apply the customized keymaps at the end of the loading of the file that contains the definition of the keymaps. But I do not know if this is possible.