Re: Slow repainting, sluggish feeling emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Slow repainting, sluggish feeling emacs
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 21:40:33 +0300

> Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 10:40:23 +0530
> From: dhruva <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> My expereince is more concerned with visiting files. I tried setting
> w32-get-true-file-attributes to nil. It appears to be faster than
> before but I need to test it further.

The OP reported slowdown with redisplay and ibuffer, which I think
cannot have anything to do with the changes in w32 subroutines called
by file-attributes.

As for what you see, I announced here that the changes I made in the
emulation of `stat' in w32.c could very well make Emacs slower in
accessing many files, like in Dired.  I intend to work on speeding
that up, but in the meantime, if the slowdown annoys you, I advised to
set w32-get-true-file-attributes to nil.  If even setting it to nil
doesn't help, then the slowdown has nothing to do with my changes to
`stat' (whose purpose was to report true owner of each file and its
primary group), because a nil value causes `stat' to shortcut the code
I added.