Re: gnupg interface

From: Daiki Ueno
Subject: Re: gnupg interface
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 13:08:10 +0900

> > > When I try to open with easypg (M-x epa-decrypt-file), Emacs hangs with
> > > minibuffer message:
> > >
> > > Decrypting sekritz.gpg...0% (0/1622)

> I think now that the problem lies not at all with Emacs development,
> but with the upgrade to gnupg version 2, which forces (?) the use of
> gpg-agent.

True.  GnuPG 2.x does it.

> It seems that gpg-agent is waiting for a passphrase (for decryption of
> the file).  Here is the content of the log on the first run:

> gpg --no-tty --status-fd 1 --yes --enable-progress-filter --command-fd 0
> --output /home/anonym/foobar.txt --decrypt -- /home/anonym/sekritz.gpg
> [GNUPG:] PROGRESS /home/anonym/sekri ? 0 1622
> gpg: 3DES encrypted data
> [GNUPG:] NEED_PASSPHRASE_SYM 2 3 2
> can't connect to `/home/anonym/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent': Connection refused
> pinentry-curses: no LC_CTYPE known - assuming UTF-8
> pinentry-curses: no LC_CTYPE known - assuming UTF-8
> pinentry-curses: no LC_CTYPE known - assuming UTF-8
> pinentry-curses: no LC_CTYPE known - assuming UTF-8

> So I start gpg-agent and try again: I do M-x epa-decrypt-file [RET]
> ~/sekritz.gpg [RET], and Emacs hangs.  So I check my other windows,
> and realize that xterm has popped up a curses password dialog
> (pinentry-curses).  But things are garbled: when I try to enter the
> password, it doesn't work.

Currently pinentry-curses is not well integrated into Emacs, and I'm
recently trying to fix it.  See:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/96207

> I could not find any documentation for how to set up easypg to work
> with gnupg version 2.  Can easypg be used to decrypt gpg files (with
> gnupg v 2) when running Emacs in a text terminal?

IIUC, GnuPG 2.x series are not just newer versions of GnuPG but on the
different product line from GnuPG 1.x series, and they can coexist in
the system.  So unless you have any particular reason to choose GnuPG
2.x, I'd recommend:

1. Install the latest GnuPG 1.x along with 2.x and let epg-gpg-program
   to point the executable, or

2. Use other pinentry-program which interact through the windowing system

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno