Re: (re)display problems after font backend merge

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: (re)display problems after font backend merge
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 15:42:24 -0400

>>>>> "David" == David De La Harpe Golden <address@hidden> writes:

David> The puzzle would be where the helvetica-like font that is
David> antialiased is coming from, then :-).

If you ask for the pattern «Helvetica» fontconfig will, using the
default fonts.conf, match that against a number of alternatives.

You need to use fc-match rather than fc-list to see this.

It is, in general, what the users want and expect.

The relevant comment is:

,----[ /etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf ]
|       <!-- Alias similar/metric-compatible families from various sources:
|
|               PostScript fonts:
|                       Helvetica
|                       Times
|                       Courier
|               URW fonts:
|                       Nimbus Sans L
|                       Nimbus Roman No9 L
|                       Nimbus Mono L
|
|               Microsoft fonts:
|                       Arial
|                       Times New Roman
|                       Courier New
|               Liberation fonts:
|                       Liberation Sans
|                       Liberation Serif
|                       Liberation Mono
|               StarOffice fonts:
|                       Albany
|                       Thorndale
|                       Cumberland
|               AMT fonts:
|                       Albany AMT
|                       Thorndale AMT
|                       Cumberland AMT
|
|            Of these, URW fonts are design compatible with PostScrict fonts,
|            and the Liberation, StarOffice, and AMT ones are compatible with
|            Microsoft fonts.
|
|            We want for each of them to fallback to any of these
|            available, but in an order preferring similar designs
|            first.  We do this in three steps:
|
|               1) Alias each specific to it's generic family.
|                  eg. Liberation Sans to Arial
|
|               2) Weak alias each generic to the other generic of its family.
|                  eg. Arial to Helvetica
|
|               3) Alias each generic to its specifics.
|                  eg. Arial to Liberation Sans, Albany, and Albany AMT
|       -->
`----

-JimC
--