Re: bootstrap compiles C files twice

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bootstrap compiles C files twice
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 21:26:38 +0300

> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 08:55:12 +0100
> From: Jason Rumney <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Glenn Morris wrote:
> > Can anyone explain why `mostlyclean' is called after compiling the
> > lisp files? Things seem to work fine (and obviously more quickly)
> > without doing this.
> >

> I think the size of purespace differs for bootstrap builds, at least on
> some platforms.

It used to be on all platforms, but I see that the compiler switch to
set PURESIZE to a very large value was removed on Posix systems.  I
guess they don't care about pure space overflow in bootstrap-emacs?
If that's true, then we do need to rebuild with correct pure size once
the *.el files are compiled and bootstrap-emacs can be tossed.

> Although it only affects some .o files, so it shouldn't be necessary
> to remove all of them.

Yes, but do we really want to maintain a list of those who do depend
on the pure size?  The gains are minimal: compiling C files takes a
small fraction of the total bootstrap time, especially under -j.