Re: Build-time dependencies

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Build-time dependencies
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 21:44:21 -0400

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> What exactly is the point of doing this supposed to be?
>> To make non-bootstrap builds more reliable?
>
> To make dependencies between Lips files explicit in lisp/Makefile.in,
> and thus causing Make to compile Lisp files in the right order.  Right
> now, whenever some Lisp files change, I frequently need to "make
> recompile" several times, sometimes removing stale *.elc files
> manually, until it finally succeeds, because it basically compiles
> them in a random order.

I think that's what I said.

My solution is just to delete all the *.elc and not think about it.
The time it takes to fully rebuild Emacs is nothing special compared
to other modern applications.

I would just discourage the use of `recompile' et al except by those
who know what they are doing, have slow machines, and need to rebuild
Emacs frequently. But I know a lot of people seem to feel differently.