composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 09:27:41 -0500

Accented characters are infrequently used in Cyrillic writing, but I
think the Quail input methods should support them.  I am puzzled by the
look of such characters:

а̀у̀

        character: а (1072, #o2060, #x430)
preferred charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))
       code point: 0x0430
           syntax: w    which means: word
         category: Y:Cyrillic characters of 2-byte character sets c:Chinese
h:Korean j:Japanese y:Cyrillic
      buffer code: #xD0 #xB0
        file code: #xD0 #xB0 (encoded by coding system utf-8-emacs)
          display: composed to form "а̀" (see below)

Composed with the following character(s) "̀" by the rule:
        (?а (tc . bc) ?̀)
The component character(s) are displayed by these fonts (glyph codes):
 а: -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--20-200-75-75-c-100-iso10646-1 (#x430)
 ̀: -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--20-200-75-75-c-100-iso10646-1 (#x300)
See the variable `reference-point-alist' for the meaning of the rule.

Character code properties are not shown: customize what to show

There are text properties here:
  auto-composed        t
  composition          [Show]
  fontified            t

It really looks unpleasant in the font recorded here, taking up two rows
so the accent can be displayed alone on top of the letter, so I'm
curious if Emacs will pick the right appearance if the font has an
accented version of the character.  I don't have such a font.  I don't
know all the nuances here, sorry if this is an obvious question.

I also think Quail Cyrillic input methods should support the „"
characters, which are not the same as the Latin quote marks AFAIK, and
are important in Cyrillic writing (at least in Bulgarian, to my
knowledge).

I'll be glad to implement the Quail changes if they are OK with
everyone.  I didn't go ahead and implement them because I'm not familiar
with any existing conventions; maybe there's a reason why they have not
been added yet.

I'd like to know about the font look but it's not an impediment to the
Quail changes.

Thanks
Ted