Re: font-related hanging / general brokenness

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: font-related hanging / general brokenness
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 13:35:35 +0900

[Did anyone besides Kenichi see my previous bug report?  I'm not seeing
it on gmane, and I wonder if some idiot spam-protection software has
deleted it (I used several attachements...).]

Ok, the infinite-looping seems to be caused by this change of Stefan's:

+2008-06-18  Stefan Monnier  <address@hidden>
+
+       * faces.el (face-set-after-frame-default): Don't exclude `default'.
+

After reverting that change, Emacs can start correctly using that .emacs.

However the font-selection brokenness described in my previous is still
present to some degree:

   (set-face-attribute 'default nil :family "Dejavu Sans Mono")

fails, but:

   (set-face-attribute 'default nil :family "Dejavu Sans Mono" :foundry
"dejavu")

works, but uses the ugly non-antialiased verison of dejavu-sans-mono.

   (set-face-attribute 'default nil :family "Dejavu Sans Mono" :foundry
"unknown")

also works, and uses the anti-aliased version of dejavu-sans-mono.

Is having a :foundry as a face-attribute really the right thing?  I
think users usually don't know or care about the foundry info, and its
presence as part of the face seems like it will cause the :family
attribute almost never work correctly (because a face which specifies
:family will almost always inherit an incorrect :foundry value from the
default face).

-Miles

--
Neighbor, n. One whom we are commanded to love as ourselves, and who does all
he knows how to make us disobedient.