Re: font-related hanging / general brokenness

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: font-related hanging / general brokenness
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 15:17:24 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> BTW, despite the problems mentioned previously, font rendering
> definitely looks better now:  Emacs seems to be correctly following
> global fontconfig settings, which makes freetype-rendered fonts _much_
> better looking in some cases.

> [Before, Emacs seemed to completely ignore fontconfig settings for some
> reason (unlike all other xft/freetype/fontconfig apps).]

Perhaps it's because of this change:

        * xftfont.c
[...]
        (xftfont_open): Call XftFontMatch.

I still don't know why that makes change, but while reading
the source code of Xft, I found that Xft implements
XftFontOpen, XftFontOpenName, XftFontOpenXlfd by calling
XftFontMatch before calling XftFontOpenPattern.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden