RE: Distances between characters become larger

From: Herbert Euler
Subject: RE: Distances between characters become larger
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 17:00:11 +0800

>> The newest CVS Emacs chooses a different font when started with the -Q
>> option.  Meanwhile, the distances between characters become extremely
>> larger.  I have configured to let the xft backend take precedence over
>> the x backend by adding "Emacs*FontBackend: xft, x" into
>> ~/.Xresources.
>
> There should be no space after ",".  I'll fix the parsing
> routine to allow extra spacing soon, but please try with
> "xft,x" at the moment.

After deleting the space, `emacs -Q' behaves exactly the same as the
behavior before the changing of preference to backends was introduced.
This means that, both the "old" behavior and the "new" behavior I
mentioned in previous mail are not what are supposed to be.  So it
doesn't count.

> By the way, old-font-log says this is the first font opened:
>   -unknown-宋体-方正超大字符集-normal-normal-normal-*-0-iso8859-1
> and new-font-log says:
>   -unknown-宋体-18030-normal-normal-normal-*-0-iso8859-1
>
> Do you mean that the former is surely the font you want?

I just notice that it is indeed not Emacs' fault of displaying all
characters as two units of width with the latter font, it is perhaps
due to my improper configuration of X and/or Font Config: Other
programs display characters as two units of width too with it.

As the result, I'm sure I prefer the former one over the latter one,
as long as I can't fix the display of the latter one for X.

Regards,
Guanpeng Xu
http://www.live.com/getstarted.aspx