Re: should read-file-name not respect text properties in its input strin

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: should read-file-name not respect text properties in its input string?
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 21:41:35 -0400

>> So, again, what kind of properties would these be?
> Uh, again, text properties. Period.

> Here's one mail from the 2007 thread, which lists possible uses of a few
> properties:

> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-01/msg00807.html

This lists uses of properties in completion candidates (typically when
displayed in *Completions*).  As mentioned, this should already
work now.  We're discussing a different issue, which is the text
properties of the value returned by `completing-read'.

I'm not fundamentally opposed to this change, but I strongly suspect
that any code that relies on those properties will be very brittle since
there is very little control over them.  So, if you can come up with
actual scenarios where those properties could be useful/important, maybe
we can make sure not only that they're returned but that they are
returned reliably.  If you can't come up with such a scenario, that
casts doubts on the usefulness of the requested change.

        Stefan