Re: Global keymaps

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Global keymaps
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 22:45:07 +0300

>> Then we can use the same naming convention as for C-x 4 and C-x 5 maps:
>>
>>     ctl-x-4-map - keymap for subcommands of C-x 4
>>     ctl-x-5-map - keymap for frame commands
>>
>> Such names don't restrict the map to commands of only one feature.
>>
>> By analogy, we could have:
>>
>>     ctl-x-a-map - keymap for abbreviation commands
>>     ctl-x-n-map - keymap for narrowing commands
>>     ctl-x-r-map - keymap for register/rectangle subcommands of C-x r
>>     esc-g-map   - keymap for navigation subcommands of M-g
>
> That's a bad naming convention, we shouldn't copy it if it's possible to
> do better.  If keymaps have a coherent meaning associated with the, we
> should use it.
>
> So, "narrowing-map" and "goto-map" are pretty good.
>
> For the rectangle/register map, well, it's an ugly case, but
> "rect-reg-map" more or less tells the story.

A name like `ctl-x-n-map' is not descriptive indeed, but at least it
doesn't limit the keymap to one particular functionality, and keeps
it open for further unrelated bindings.  Since we already very tight
on available keys, who knows what commands we will need in future on
these keymaps especially if they will have unrelated but good mnemonics.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/