Re: visual-line-mode

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: visual-line-mode
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 16:05:16 +0900

David Reitter <address@hidden> writes:
> Let me know how it works with the new DTWW.

It basically doesn't work at all with display-time word-wrapping turned
on.

I presume much of the problem is with emacs primitives (vertical-motion
etc) though.

With word-wrapping turned off, it kinda-sorta works.

I noticed the following:

  (1) It seems extremely slow -- moving from line to line is noticeably
      laggy, and sometimes will just ... hang for a while, even if
      there's no wrapped lines at all.

  (2) It seems to cons a lot; even just a bit of movement results in
      frequent pauses to garbage collect (again, this happens even
      without any wrapped lines).

  (3) When the default face is variable-pitch, the positioning with
      C-n/C-p seems a bit "rough".  V.W. fonts, one can't be completely
      precise, but it probably ought to at least use some notion of
      pixel goal column to avoid the tendency of the horizontal position
      to drift with a lot of vertical movement.

I expect emacs primitives will need improvement to work for the
word-wrapping case (and display-time line-prefixes which I've hacked up
locally), so perhaps they can be improved to work better in general too.

-Miles

--
My spirit felt washed.  With blood.  [Eli Shin, on "The Passion of the Christ"]