Re: visual-line-mode

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: visual-line-mode
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 09:32:16 +0200

On 29 Jun 2008, at 09:05, Miles Bader wrote:

I presume much of the problem is with emacs primitives (vertical- motion
etc) though.

Yes, because it works fine for me with normal (non-word) wrapping.

 (1) It seems extremely slow -- moving from line to line is noticeably
     laggy, and sometimes will just ... hang for a while, even if
     there's no wrapped lines at all.

 (2) It seems to cons a lot; even just a bit of movement results in
     frequent pauses to garbage collect (again, this happens even
     without any wrapped lines).

It's an iterative approach, primarily because we don't have the right Emacs primitives. That said, it's been nice and fast and we've used for standard movement commands for a while now. So I'm not sure what the problem is.