Re: Debian's idiosyncratic complexification of Emacs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Debian's idiosyncratic complexification of Emacs
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:48:45 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Given that debian have reasonable goals, and aren't doing anything
> egregiously stupid (no comment on that one, just assuming for the
> moment... :-),

At a sufficiently advanced level, egregiously smart and egregiously
stupid become indistinguishable.

> it would be nice if emacs' default mechanisms would aid what they're
> doing.  If there are conflicts, I think in many cases that means
> emacs' mechanisms should be extended, rather than meaning debian
> should give up their goals.

There is no point in separating the .elc from the .el as far as I can
see.  That is just begging for search path related conflicts and
different load path shadows for .el and .elc.  And since Debian is
restricted to platforms supporting symlinks, you don't even save any
disk space worth noting by working from a single .el directory.

So I don't see a point in making Emacs support what can only be called a
misguided configuration.

--
David Kastrup