Re: Debian's idiosyncratic complexification of Emacs

From: Agustin Martin
Subject: Re: Debian's idiosyncratic complexification of Emacs
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:08:20 +0200

2008/7/17 Manoj Srivastava <address@hidden>:

>        Pardon me, I do think I know the problem that Debian was trying
>  to solve when they implemented this mechanism. Yes, it does break the
>  expectation that the .el and .elc files live in the same location; I'll
>  see what can be done to correct that, while still addressing the
>  problem that does need to be solved for Debian users (by adding
>  symlinks as David noited is the right thing to do).

Just noting that the symlinks approach has been proposed a while ago,

http://bugs.debian.org/122444

and the proposed change in policy seemed not controversial. However, no
changes in policy were done since then. As a matter of fact, no changes
were done for a long time, last emacsen-common Debian package is of
2006-01-17.

In the meantime some of us are setting symlinks in our packages as
proposed, with no apparent drawback.