Re: [Emacs.app dev]: Emacs.app now in GNU Emacs CVS

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: [Emacs.app dev]: Emacs.app now in GNU Emacs CVS
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 19:03:21 +0000 (UTC)

Yavor Doganov <yavor <at> gnu.org> writes:

> If it would be of any help, here is how GNUstep Make compiles a random
> GNUstep application on GNU/Linux:

The flags when compiling emacs SHOULD be identical -- if not and
you can patch configure and makefiles to get it right, that's an
important first step.

The other issue I had when getting the first (emacs 20) version
running under GNUstep was getting the right combination with
firstfile, lastfile, etc. on the link line -- and correct
ordering.  And getting rid of the stdlib.  This is "documented"
in src/Makefile.in.

Issues I sometimes messed with when getting successive versions
to work (usually I would spend the 2 weeks to a month / whatever
to get a new version running on the Mac, then a day or two fixing
it up under GNUstep) include GNUstep main() hackery, and GSConfig
inclusion.  Sorry I can't remember more than this.

> It is unfortunate that the Emacs.app developers run primarily Muck OS
> and the code was not tested on GNUstep under GNU/Linux.  Anyway, such
> failures right after the merge are more or less expected.  I'll dive
> into this tomorrow, unless someone fixes the problem.

There are others working on GNUstep and Emacs.app -- see recent
thread on emacs-app-dev- mailing list (with some overflow to
gnustep-discuss):

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=emacs-app-dev-

> Nevertheless, it is a great day for all the GNUsteppers who are also
> monks in the GNU Emacs Church -- we've been waiting for the Holy Merge
> for years.  Thanks to all the people who made it happen, and of course
> Adrian for keeping up with Emacs changes through the years.

Not easy... ;-)