Re: describe-char should display the character's Unicode name

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: describe-char should display the character's Unicode name
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:31:43 -0400

>>> You can use the input method "ucs" to input any Unicode
>>> character by typing its codepoint.  A method by typing
>>> Unicode name is not yet implemented.

MB> An input method is not a good solution because while input methods are
MB> good for heavy use, they're quite annoying to juggle for occasional inputs.

> Agreed, there should be a function that gives all the Unicode characters
> as input candidates and the user can select the one he wants quickly (I
> don't see one currently).  An input method wouldn't provide completion
> candidates, so the user has to remember all the names he needs.

Actually, we should have completion for input methods.  It would be handy
for things like the TeX input method.  Currently if I hit TAB after \a
I do get some sort of "list of possible completions", but it's displayed
as a tree which is kind of hard to read and I can select one of them
from the list.  Also TAB after \rig doesn't complete to \right as normal
completion would.

> Would a few thousand candidates be a problem for completion?  I've only
> seen it with hundreds and it's not slow, but for this maybe maybe we can
> break it down by block name and then character name.

I don't forsee any serious problem, except when when displaying the
complete list of completions (e.g. if you hit TAB before entering
any input).

        Stefan