Re: src/ftfont.c problem on SUSE/old fontconfig versions.

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: src/ftfont.c problem on SUSE/old fontconfig versions.
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 09:56:59 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Lynbech Christian <address@hidden> writes:

> I have stumbled across a possible problem with ftfont.c
> I have compiled and installed from the trunk of the git mirror and
> trying to run the result on my SUSE SLED 10, patchlevel 1 ended in a
> segmentation fault.

> Digging down a bit, I found that the segmentation fault happens in a
> call to the fontconfig function 'FcPatternGetCharSet' in the line

>           if (FcPatternGetCharSet (fontset->fonts[0], FC_CHARSET, 0, &charset)
>               == FcResultMatch)

> in the function 'ftfont_lookup_cache'. Compiling the same emacs snapshot
> on a rather recent Debian unstable installation yielded no such problem.

> The version of fontconfig on my SUSE system is apparently 2.3.94 and
> when I installed fontconfig 2.6.0 (like on the Debian system) the
> segmentation fault went away.

Then it's apparently the bug of 2.3.94.  I don't see that
problem with fontconfig 2.4.2.

The question is whether or not we can have a workaround of
the problem.  If not, we must add a check for the version of
fontconfig in configure.in.  Could you show me the values of
`fontset' and `fontset->nfont' at the time of crash?

> The last time I updated my emacs 23 was June 11. and this version does
> not have the segmentation fault problem, but quite a lot has happened to
> ftfont.c since then so I have no guess as to what may have been
> triggering the problem.

FYI, that part of code is added on 8th July.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden