Re: ^M in the info files

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ^M in the info files
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 18:29:57 -0400

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:27:09 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
>
> > But maybe in this case we should force some safe coding like `undecided'
> > (as it seems to use now for pure ASCII Info files without null-bytes)?
>
> No, I think it should use `us-ascii' instead.

That is almost certainly a bad idea: no need to punish users who have
non-ASCII Info files without a proper `coding' tag.  The
@documentencoding feature is relatively new in Texinfo, and it's
clumsy to use (you need to specify --enable-encoding on the command
line, or else @documentencoding is ignored), so I expect quite a few
such Info files to be out there.

> What happens if your TeXinfo file specifies a latin-1 encoding and your
> date is output in utf-8 because of your locale, then?

You get a garbled file.  In general, Texinfo's l10n features don't
work well if @documentencoding doesn't match the current locale's
encoding.

Btw, the official name of the project is Texinfo, not TeXinfo.