Re: inputting characters by hexadigit

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: inputting characters by hexadigit
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:18:46 +0900

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
> I'd drop the C-x 8 1 / 2, C-x 8 1 / 4, and C-x 8 3 / 4, replace them
> with something else

Heh, I always try to type "C-x 8 / 1 2" etc for those chars anyway ... :-)
(somehow it makes more sense to me, given C-x 8's general "accent
prefix" style, and of course looks more like lisp :-).

> and then use C-x 8 NNNN RET.  Note that I'd also imagine the NNNN to
> use hex, so it would also conflict with other existing bindings, but I
> think we can force the use to use C-x 8 0 NNNN for those cases.

The only conflict, afaict, is "C-x 8 c", which currently gives "ยข".

That binding could just be moved somewhere else; I don't imagine the
cent-sign is used very heavily...

-Miles

--
Any man who is a triangle, has thee right, when in Cartesian Space,
to have angles, which when summed, come to know more, nor no less,